Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Challah Bread French Toast with Peaches and Honey Topping

OMG, this one is DEFINITELY a keeper. The roomie is coming back in 2 weeks (!!!) and I have already told her I am making this for her. This is my entry into the Royal Foodie Joust for July. The queen declared that the ingredients to be used were eggs, honey and peaches. I held off on competing because I wasn’t sure my peaches were any good, but turns out I picked at least 1 good one.
I thought of this recipe immediately when I read the jousting foods, but NOWHERE online could I find a real recipe for it. I found recipes that have oven baked french toast with cream cheese and peaches or berries, but that sounds soggy and heavy. I wanted something light, summery and tasty. I had to create my own recipe, but it turned out perfectly. The french toast was crispy, the peaches were soft and sweet. It was great. Find yourself a good peach and enjoy! If you like this recipe, please go to the forum and vote for me at the end of the month!

Tips and Changes for next time: PERFECT! Wouldn't change a thing. Challah Bread French Toast with Peaches and Honey Topping
Servings: 1
Challah -- by Dick Hanson (as in previous post, but I will put it up again since it is for the Joust)
Ingredients
3/4 cup warm water
1 large egg
3 tablespoons margarine, cut up
3 cups bread flour
4 tablespoons sugar
1 1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons active dry yeast

Directions:
Add water, egg, margarine, flour, sugar, salt and yeast to bread machine in order recommended by manufacturer. Select Sweet Bread cycle. Remove to rack and cool when done.

Honey Peach Topping
1 ripe peach
1tsp honey
Cinnamon to taste

Directions:
Combine ingredients in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 1 minute. Stir. French Toast
1 thick slice day old Challah bread
1 egg
1/8 cup milk
2 tsp honey
Sprinkling of nutmeg
Splash of vanilla
Cooking spray
Honey Peach Topping

Directions:
Heat a non stick pan and coat with cooking spray

Whisk together the egg, milk and honey (heat the honey in the microwave for a few seconds if it is going to be too hard to mix). Add nutmeg and vanilla to the mix and whisk together.

Dip bread in bowl and coat both sides of the bread with the mixture.

Cook the french toast in the pan until both sides are browned.

Top with warm Honey Peach Topping (including its juices).

1 comment:

Jess said...

Yea I saw this recipe and it sounded delicious! I might try it out for tomorrow. I've been making French Toast literally every morning for breakfast (with of course whole wheat bread and an Egg Beater instead of an actual egg....you could always offer that as a delish, healthy recipe option for your readers hehe!)

But this looks good. When I get to the store and get more peaches I will definitely give it a try!