Thursday, August 2, 2007

Chicken and Tzatziki Pita

First off, please read my entry on the Honey Peach French Toast , and vote for me at the leftover queen forum for the royal foodie joust! Pretty please!

Next: I told you that this week I would be trying some more adventurous dinners since the boy is out of town, and while you haven’t seen them, I have delivered. The first was Tuesday night, but that is part of my cookbook challenge entry, so that will go up later, once all parts are ready. Last night I did another part of that entry, then wanted a completely different main course. “Hmm, chicken. Chicken and what? Hmm, chicken on the Foreman grill. With what marinade or sauce? Hmm, I’ve never made tzatziki.” My thoughts lead me to the famous Greek Tzatziki sauce with grilled chicken breasts.

I had all the ingredients needed for a basic tzatziki, but didn’t know what proportions to use and what spices were good, so trusty foodnetwork.com search as sorted by rating, gave me Emeril’s Kicked up Tzatziki. I changed it a bit. Ok, who am I kidding, I changed it a lot. It was so good though, I loved every change I made. I wanted to get more veggies in with dinner, so I added some carrot. I left out a lot of his spices because I didn’t feel like rooting around my spice cabinet for a ¼ pinch of something. I quartered the recipe since it was just me. I used a food processor to avoid long chopping times. Voila! My Chicken and Tzatziki Pita. Not Greek, but sure yummy! Not very photogenic though... Tips for next time: Add more carrots. Also fill Pita with lettuce, shredded carrots and maybe some sprouts. Would serve with a side of pita chips!
Chicken and Tzatziki Pita (non-traditional)

Tzatziki Sauce changed from Emeril Lagasse’s Kicked Up Tzatziki
1/4 medium cucumber, peeled, sliced in half, seeded and finely chopped
1/4 cup plain yogurt
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 teaspoon lemon juice
pinch salt
pinch oregano
1 clove garlic, pre-chopped
pinch paprika
pinch pepper
4 baby carrots, roughly chopped

Mix in food processor until mostly smooth.
Chicken Pitas
Marinate chicken cutlets in olive oil and chicken seasoning. In a Foreman grill, cook chicken. When chicken is mostly done, heat pita pockets on the grill. Serve sauce in pita with sliced chicken breast and tomato.

No comments: