Seven-Layer Chicken Taco Salad
- 1lb skinless boneless chicken breasts
- 2 cups fat free reduced sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- (I added 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, divided)
- salt and pepper
- 3 cups (I'd use more) shredded lettuce
- 1 lb tomatoes, diced
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large avocado, diced
- 1 cup finely diced onion (preferably red onion)
- 1 cup shredded reduced fat Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- (I added some lime juice)
- Trim visible fat from the chicken, place in medium sauce pan, add chicken broth and enough water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to simmer over medium high heat, reduce heat to medium low and cook until chicken is cooked/white throughout, about 15 minutes. Let chicken remain in the liquid until it is cool enough to handle, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the chicken and shred it (I cubed some because it was easier). Reserve 1/3 cup of the broth. In small bowl, combine shredded chicken with parsley, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and 1 tablespoon cilantro.
- In a wide (preferably clear) bowl, layer lettuce, tomatoes, black beans, chicken, avocado, onion, and cheese.
- In a small bowl, whisk together vingar, olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt,1/4 teaspoon pepper, reserved 1/3 cup chicken broth, remaining cilantro and a dash of lime juice. Drizzle dressing over salad and serve.