Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Roasted Asparagus



As I have previously mentioned, the boy does not like veggies. Broccoli: yes. Green beans: maybe. Anything else green (or purple, or orange...): no. So when I told him we were having asparagus tonight, he made a face, joked about the smell it would cause, and got out of the kitchen.

When dinner was served I asked what he thought. The response? "It's edible."

I'll take it!!
I thought the flavor was great. The roasting in olive oil, salt and pepper plus topping with lemon zest and parsley is great. My one issue is that I don't think the pine nuts really added much. The boy disagreed and said he liked them, so I will leave it up to you whether to use them or not, but I think for me it won't be worth the cost in the future for so little value added.

Roasted Asparagus-adapted from Food Network Magazine
serves 4

  • 1lb asparagus
  • 1/2 TBSP olive oil
  • salt and fresh ground pepper
  • 2 TBSP pine nuts (optional)
  • 2 TBSP chapped fresh parsley
  • zest of 1/2 lemon
  1. Preheat oven to 450. Trim asparagus. Toss with oil, salt and pepper on baking sheet. Roast until just starting to brown, 10 minutes.
  2. Mix pine nuts (if using), parsley, lemon zest and salt and pepper. Sprinkle over asparagus.

No comments: