Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Chocolate Malted Whopper Drops

I do not know who Dorie Greenspan is, but I would likely give up my 1st born to be able to come up with recipes like hers. Dorie wrote a recipe for chocolate malted whopper drop cookies which have graced blogs like habeas brulee and taste and tell. While mine ended up much puffier than theirs, these were delicious. As the boy said (with his mouth full) "I like your chocolate chip cookies better, but these are really good." I totally agree, I love my basic chocolate chip cookie recipe, a great standby, but if you want to spice up your cookie baking life, add some malt to your routine.

I followed the recipe precisely with only 1 change. I used skim milk instead of whole because it is all that we keep in the apartment. I got to the step where it says "The batter will resemble frosting more than cookie dough." This was so true. And I couldn’t help myself. I had to try some, it looked so good. Oh, and it tasted so good too. It was so creamy and chocolatey with a hint of malt. I adored that dough and am surprised I didn’t eat the whole thing right then.

Then there was the addition of the candy. Who could complain with that? Well I have one small complaint, it is kind of hard to chop whoppers. I tried using my hand chopper, but it just couldn’t cut through the solid balls of malty goodness. I had to do it by hand. It took forever. "It will be worth it" I said to myself. "I am following the recipe so that I have great cookies." It was worth it and I did have great cookies, though next time I may consider putting the whoppers in a ziploc and hitting it with a heavy pan. Would be so much easier and I would get out all my anger of the day on those poor innocent candies. Chopping the chocolate was much simpler. I had melting chocolates laying around, so I cut those up in a couple batches in my hand chopper. 2 seconds, done.

Once I mixed the candies into the dough it was so thick I wasn’t sure it would make a good cookie. But I spooned it onto the pans and into the oven they went. After about 10 or 11 minutes they were beautiful balls of chocolate malt deliciousness. I let them cool for a minute then downed a couple with the boy. They are great by themselves and are delish with a cold glass of milk. They are gooey in parts because the whoppers sort of melt and explode, yet they are soft. It is such a great texture combo, and the malted chocolate combo is always welcome. I brought them to work today and had to take the container off my desk at 1:30 because there was only 1 left (and I wanted it!). I have never had a tray emptied by 1:30! Even my rugelach lasted almost the entire day! This one is definitely a keeper!
Tips for next time: maybe less baking powder, as I would like a slightly slimmer cookie. As noted before, find an easier way to chop the whoppers (tips from readers would be much appreciated). Finally, if I am in the mood for a more pronounced malt flavor, I will cut down on the cocoa powder and increase the amount of Ovaltine by the same amount. Those are the only changes I would make. Wait, no, I lie, one more change: make 2 batches so that they last a full 24 hours!
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup malted milk powder (or Ovaltine. Chocolate or Plain. I used chocolate)
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 stick plus 3 tablespoons (11 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature
2/3 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup whole milk
2 cups chocolate-covered malted milk balls, coarsely chopped
6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped, or 1 cup chocolate chips

-Position oven rack to divide the oven into thirds. Preheat oven to 350 F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

-In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, malted milk powder, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Set aside.

-In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar together on medium speed until very smooth, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating for 1 minute after each addition.

-Beat in the vanilla. Don't be concerned if the mixture looks curdled; it will even out once the dry ingredients are added.

-Reduce the mixer speed to low, add half the dry ingredients, mixing until they just disappear into the batter. Mix in the milk, then the remaining dry ingredients, mixing only until they are incorporated. The batter will resemble frosting more than cookie dough.

-With the mixer on low, or by hand with a rubber spatula, mix in the malted milk balls and chocolate pieces.

-Drop the cookie dough onto the prepared baking sheets, one rounded tablespoon per cookie, leaving about 2 inches between each. Bake for 11 to 13 minutes, rotating sheets from top to bottom and front to back halfway through.

-When done, the cookies will be puffed and set, but slightly soft to the touch. Let the cookies rest for 2 minutes before using a wide metal spatula to transfer them to racks to cool to room temperature. Bake remaining dough in similar fashion.

1 comment:

Jess said...

hahah I am cracking up over here picture you swinging a frying pan at a poor unsuspecting bag of malted milk balls hahaha!

P.s. Lauren and I baked last night. (To be read: We went to grocery store, bought ingredients and enjoyed raw cookie dough...although I do think some made it to the oven!)