Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Chocolate Chip Shortbread

I didn't feel like cooking. I really didn't. Then we ordered dinner. 1 really bad, flavorless chicken and rice bowl later, I had out my mixing bowl and new 9x13 pan. Suddenly I wanted something home made.

Having just bought a new pan, I had a new recipe to try too (the one on the back of the packaging). It was a Nestle mini morsels shortbread. Basically, a chocolate chip shortbread bar coated in chocolate. DONE.It turned out great. Had to take it out a little early, but that was it. Turned out a nice, dense sweet, but not toothachingly sweet cookie bar. Was buttery, a little crumbly and great with my morning orange juice ;)
Chocolate Chip Shortbread
Ingredients:
1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups (12-oz. pkg.) mini chocolate chips, divided (I used extra and used full sized chips)

Directions:
PREHEAT oven to 350° F.
BEAT butter and sugar in large mixer bowl until creamy. Beat in egg and vanilla extract. Gradually beat in flour. Stir in 1 cup mini morsels. Press onto bottom of ungreased 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
BAKE for 30 to 33 minutes or just until top is light brown (mine only took about 27 min). Immediately sprinkle with remaining morsels. Let stand for 5 minutes or until morsels are shiny; spread evenly. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into squares.

No comments: