Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Veggies or Chips with Mexican Dip

It is what my mom is known for. "That Mexican Dip." Whenever I had a sleepover in highschool I, and all my friends, would BEG my mom to make her mexican dip. Now that I am on my own I have made that dip my own with a couple variations. There is the original to serve as a dip for tortilla chips or veggies. Then there is the more saucy version which I use on my mexican chicken sandwhich. Finally, for new years I came up with a more sturdy version to use as a filling for veggies. All are delicious and have the same flavors that the boy calls "like really really good taco bell." I will post on the chicken sandwhich version the next time I make it, but for now I will focus on the dips.
Mexican Dip for Filling Veggies
1 package full fat cream cheese, softened
1 small package full fat sour cream
about 3/4 cup mild or medium salsa (didn't measure)
about 1/8 tsp each of paprika, cayenne pepper, ground red pepper and cumin
veggies cut to allow for filling
Ex: larger grape tomatoes: slice a very little bit off the top, slice off the bottom and remove seeds from the bottom side. Sit with the top down and fill what was the bottom
cucumbers: slice cucumbers. use a spoon to remove some of the flesh.
Celery: slice celery across. remove a thin strip from the back so the back is flat and the curve stays facing up

Using a mixer, combine all ingredients except the veggies. Refrigerate. Use a ziploc like a piping bag by filling with dip, cutting off one end and piping the dip into the veggies.

Mexican Dip for Chips
1 Package reduced fat cream cheese or neufchatel cheese, softened
3/4 of a small package of low fat sour cream
about 3/4 cup mild or medium salsa
about 1/8 tsp each of paprika, cayenne pepper, ground red pepper and cumin
shredded cheddar or mexican cheese blend
chopped tomato
shredded lettuce
chopped scallions
Combine cream cheese, sour cream, salsa and spices with a mixer. Spread into pie pan or 8x8 baking dish. Top with lettuce, cheese, tomatoes and scallions. Serve with tortilla chips and cut veggies.

1 comment:

Deborah said...

I was just telling my husband this morning that I was craving veggies and dip. This one sounds delicious!