Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches

For the engagement party that I just hosted for J and O'L, I wanted lovable, tasty, hand held desserts. I ended up making peanut butter cookies, s'mores cupcakes and chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwiches. All were fabulous, but I think the ice cream sandwiches were the biggest hits.
I was the only one who had ANY problems with the ice cream sandwiches, and my concern was just that, well, they were really cold! It kind of hurt my teeth- not because they were hard, but just because I don't normally bite into ice cream, I lick it, so biting in was really really cold! Otherwise they were perfect.
Since they were for the engagement party, I made 2 special sandwiches for the bride and groom. Hers was sprinkled with pink sprinkles and his had blue. Loved it!! But warning, the sprinkles kind of dissolve into tie-dye instead of staying solid, but it still is cool looking.
Because I use the same ice cream scoop twice for this recipe, I am submitting it to Joelen's Tasty Tools: Scoops. I use an 18/8 ice cream scoop, which I don't know exactly what it means, but it is pretty small. Here is a size comparison between the scoop I use for ice cream and the one I used here.Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
Makes about 36 Sandwiches

2 cup margarine, softened
1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 cup brown sugar, well packed
2 tsp vanilla
4 eggs
4 1/2 cups AP flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp salt
2-12 oz bags chocolate chips
1.5 quart container of vanilla ice cream

Preheat oven to 375. Cream together margarine, sugars and vanilla until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs. Sift together flour, baking soda and salt. Gradually add to creamed mixture, mixing until well blended. Fold in chocolate chips. Use the small ice cream scoop to scoop cookies onto baking sheets. Bake at 375 for about 10 minutes until lightly browned. Cool completely.

Match up equally sized cookies. Rip off squares of plastic wrap. Place 1 cookie on a square of plastic. Put 1 and a half scoops on the cookie. Squeeze the top on to slightly squish the ice cream. Wrap in the plastic and put in the freezer. Freeze for at least 2 hours and up to 2 weeks.

3 comments:

Tempered Woman said...

I'm doing some research for an upcoming event (ice cream cupcakes) and trying to get some ideas working. Just wanted to say I love your pink and blue ice cream sandwiches. Very clever!

Anonymous said...

These look great and what a wonderful idea for a celebration!

aliya said...

love the desserts! 18/8 is the combination of metals in the steel for your scoop :).

keep 'em coming!