Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Peanut Butter Banana French Toast

I was so proud of myself for this one! After having made a loaf of no-knead challah bread from Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day, a read about the new Recipe Remix and immediately decided to make challah French toast…in some new way. I remember Rachael Ray doing cream cheese filled French toasts, so I thought of making it another way and All Recipes had my answer. Peanut Butter and Banana French Toast.


As it turned out, the boy was not going to work the next morning, so he and I had brunch together. His was PB free since, well, as he puts it “I don’t like cheddar cheese or peanut butter.” He also doesn’t like beans, spice or many veggies, but those are stories for other times.

This was super easy to whip up. Took some time just because I had a very thin loaf of bread and had to assemble many tiny sandwiches. While they tasted great, I would recommend using a wider/taller loaf of challah, or even potato or wonder bread, just so 1 sandwich per person is enough. Oh, and both with and without PB were a hit, though that takes away the Elvis Presely-ness of it all!Oh, and one last tip: these babies are super sticky and gooey, so have some milk or juice handy.

Peanut Butter Banana French Toast

Serves 1
• 1 egg
• 1 dash vanilla
• 1 tsp milk
• About 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
• 2 slices regularly sized bread (preferably challah) or 4-6 slices from a small loaf of bread
• ½-1 banana, sliced
• 1 tablespoons butter

• In a small bowl, lightly beat the egg, milk and vanilla together.
• Spread 1 tablespoon of peanut butter on top of each slice of bread. Place the banana slices on top of one of the slices of bread.

Place the other slice of bread on top of the first, to make a peanut butter and banana sandwich.
• In a skillet or frying pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Dip the sandwich into the egg mixture and place in the heated skillet. Cook until brown on both sides. Serve hot.

4 comments:

Robin said...

Mmmm! I love peanut butter, I love bananas, and using that combo for French Toast = a little slice of heaven! Thanks so much for participating again!

Amicus Cupcake said...

Hey, thanks for the post. I'm really glad you liked my blog. I was going to send you a comment sooner or later letting you know I had started one, but was waiting till I got a little more established (at least in terms of having more recipes). Truthfully it was your blog that inspired me to start this.

I've actually posted comments around here once or twice, before I started Amicus-Cupcake. I'm the student at UVA law (see post by Robert under "law related [for once]).

I'll have to try your salted caramel popcorn, though I'm not sure it's fair to compare a savory popcorn with a sweet one. I hope my popcorn lives up to it's title. The key is just LOTs of Cheddar powder.

And if you have anything you want to know about law school, feel free to let me know!

Jess said...

they were probably delicious...except for the whole banana thing haha

Katie said...

PB&B is my favorite sandwich and your recipe just made it even better!
I've tagged you for a 6 Word Memoir you can check it out at my blog
http://sweetiepiekates.blogspot.com/2008/05/ive-been-tagged.html