Thursday, April 24, 2008

Roasted Red Pepper Dip

When I was young, I NEVER ate bell peppers. I was certain that they were spicy. I never knew that any sort of pepper could do anything but hurt my little 3rd grader tongue! Then, one day in school, a nutritionist came in to talk to us about why veggies were good for us, and she mentioned how bell peppers were really high in vitamen C. The lady said they weren't spicy and made me try. I hated admitting it, but not only was it not at all spicy, it was super sweet and delicious. I have loved bell peppers ever since.

In recent years, I have especially come to love the sweet and smoky taste of roasted red peppers. OMG! So delicious! They are naturally sweet, with a flame charred background flavor. And who can argue against something being flame charred?For the engagement party, I am making roasted red pepper dip, and, much like I was when I was younger, both J and O'L feared the heat of peppers. Don't worry guys, it is just sweet and smoky, with just the slightest bit of tang...oh, and a LOT of cheese! And, who has a problem with sweet, smoky and cheesy? Certainly not me!

Just a warning, this dip is addictive. You can and will spread it on any bread, cracker, maybe vegetables, and as my kosher for passover room mate showed, even matzoh! It really is that good.
Roasted Red Pepper Dip
INGREDIENTS
  • 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
  • 1 (8 ounce) package finely shredded Mexican cheese
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 pinch cayenne pepper
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 cup jarred roasted red pepper, drained and chopped
DIRECTIONS
  1. In a medium bowl, mix together the cream cheese, Cheddar cheese, garlic powder, cayenne pepper and Worcestershire sauce, using a hand mixer.
  2. Process peppers in food processor until in small pieces. Stir into cream cheese mixture. Scoop into a bowl, cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate. Serve with breads and crackers.
Note- Can add some Dijon mustard to the cream cheese if you want an added zip, but I wanted to keep thespice down for the party.

2 comments:

Deborah said...

I have a serious weakness for dips. This one sounds irresistible!

Toni said...

Just what we were craving this afternoon. Thanks for the recipe. :)