Friday, September 19, 2008

Oozing Chocolate Cake

Can I say how awesome my friends are? Forgive me for bragging for a moment, but I have a friend who works for the local news channel, a friend who works for a sports lobbying group (and plays on the senate softball league, lol), a friend who is currently working at a theater in the woods in Kentucky, and oh, yes, one who gets me free cookbooks. Actually, she works, get this, in the TV section of the Washington Post! Awesome by itself, but add the fact that the people who do book reviews give away books, and it gets even cooler. When she sees cool cookbooks in the give away pile, she sometimes brings some home for me. One time she brought home a cookbook that I have so far only used twice. Once was kind of a dud, but the other. WOW. I made this oozing chocolate cake for a girly night in and it was perfect. So soft and chocolatey. I would not change a thing...well, maybe I would serve with vanilla ice cream, but last time we all dug in and devoured it so fast, there was no time for ice cream scoopers! The recipe is from "Without Reservations"by Joey Altman. I don't know whether or not to reccomend it, having only tried 2 recipes, but I can sure reccomend this one! Brownie Ice Cream Sandwich friend, thank you. I do have the coolest friends!Oozing Chocolate Cake
serves 6
8oz chocolate chips
1 stick butter
3 large eggs, seperated
1/2 cup sugar
cooking spray

1. Melt the chocolate and butter together in a double boiler over simmering water. Set aside to cool
2. In medium bowl, whisk the yolks with 1/4 cup sugar until pale and light, about 5 min
3. Whip the whites in a large, clean, dry bowl until thick and frothy, then add remaining 1/4 cup sugar and continue whipping until they form soft peaks; they shouldn't be dry or hard
4. Fold yolks into chocolate then fold that into the whites. Cover and refridgerate between 1 and 24 hours (i reccomend a higher number to make the center colder and more lava like when done)
5. Preheat oven to 400. Spray 6 6oz ramekins with cooking spray and divide the batter between them. Bake until set on the outsides but runny when inserting toothpick in center (15min).
6. Cool 1 minute, run a knife around the outside to loosen, put a plate on top of the ramekin and flip to remove.

3 comments:

laurelvb said...

Who cares about being gluten and dairy free if I can have THIS! Oh yeah, here I come with the slight substitution of coconut butter for dairy and I'm in chocolate heaven. Thank you so much!

Tart Reform said...

Sounds good, just make sure coconut butter melts. That would be crucial (and I don't know enough about coconut butter, though i should look into it!).

Anonymous said...

chocolate lava cake is my favorite dessert but i've never tried to make my own. your post has inspired me to do just that. looks delicious!