Sunday, November 2, 2008

Apple Dumplings

Ok, so I admit the ingredients in this one sound a little weird. Ok, more than a LITTLE weird. Sprite? Crescent rolls? Oh what did I get my self into? But I first saw a version of this recipe over on Pioneer Woman Cooks, and then Rachaelf Ray mag had another version, so I HAD to try it. Wow...it was actully pretty good. More than pretty good, it was great. Not great for my arteries, but that's what the run the next afternoon is for. So enjoy it, but make it up to your heart later.
Despite the odd list of ingredients, these babies end up sweet and tender, not at all sour like the sprite/mountain dew would suggest. The apples tenderize and are covered in what becomes an almost apple flavored caramel sauce. Definately worth a try!

Apple Dumplings
flour for dusting
1 can (of 8) crescent rolls
1 large apple cut into 8 wedges
1 stick butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon.
3/4 cup Mountain Dew (I used sprite because it was on hand. worked fine)

1. Preheat the oven to 350°. On a surface dusted with flour, unfold the rolls. Place an apple wedge on the wide edge of each piece of dough and roll up; place the dumplings in an 8-inch square baking dish.
2. In a saucepan, melt the butter with the sugar and cinnamon over medium heat; stir in the Mountain Dew. Pour the mixture on the dumplings. Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes; remove the foil and bake 15 minutes longer.

2 comments:

Deborah said...

I've been wanting to try these - yours look delicious!

James said...

mmm..this looks so delicious. I am so excited to try. Thanks for recipe.