Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Three Bean Cassoulet

I don't know whether I would call this a stew or a solid entree, but whatever it was, it was good! I really did not think I would like it, I made it just because it would be cheap, but it was sooooo good! I ate it with a crusty roll and a spoon as my utensils and loved every moment if it.
Need MORE reasons to make this dish?
-its good for you! Very high in fiber and protein and counts as 2 or 3 veggie servings if you eat an entree size portion
-super easy. Chop. Mix. Bake, mixing occasionally.
-freezes well. I froze the leftovers in individual portions and microwave them for a great quick lunch
-Did I mention it is cheap and delicious? It cost about $5 to make 5-6 dinners that I loved!
-It makes an entry for Legume Love Affair
Three Bean Cassoulet
  • 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes
  • 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
  • 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 can (15 ounces) butter beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 cup finely chopped carrots
  • 1 cup finely chopped onion
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme- I didn't have, so I used oregano
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper

Directions:

In an ungreased 3-qt. baking dish (I used a 9x13 pan), combine all ingredients. Cover and bake at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaf.

2 comments:

Simona Carini said...

It looks good, indeed! Thanks for participating.

Anonymous said...

I love a good cassoulet! This looks great!