Friday, August 31, 2007

Chicken Cacciatore

I had the best weekend! I am so sorry I am just now updating, but there was the fabulous weekend and then the horrible week of work, class and errands. I won't get into it but my school's beurocracy is annoying me on 2 fronts.

Anyway, happier topic. Since the roomie has come back we have done some cooking, but because of our very exciting weekend (see run-girl-run's blog for details) not as much as I would have liked. One meal that stands out, though, is the chicken cacciatore I made a few days after roomie got back. Actually, i should say "the chicken cacciatore WE made" since roomie got in on the fun. And I say fun because it was a blast. We changed the recipe to be exactly what we wanted and had on hand, joking and having a blast along the way.

It was not the best meal I have ever had, but with a few tweaks it would certainly be a repeat. First, I only had angel hair pasta in the pantry, so I used it despite the fact that I HATE angel hair. It is one of my highly irrational food opinions, but I hate angel hair pasta. It has no texture and no ability to hold flavor. Next time I would CERTAINLY use spaghetti or fettucini. Also, and I think this problem was exacerbated by the angel hair, but I would have liked a little more of a saucy consistency, so I would add more wine and more chopped tomatoes and possibly more diced tomatoes or some tomato paste. Otherwise I think it was great. It was a combination chicken cacciatore and chicken stew by the time I was done with all the changes to the recipe, but I really liked it (minus the pasta).
Chicken Cacciatore (Based off of Mom's Chicken Cacciatore)
INGREDIENTS
2 cups all-purpose flour for coating
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 chicken cutlets, cut into pieces
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 cup red wine
1 handful chopped carrots
1 handful chopped cherry tomatoes
1 handful chopped green beans
salt and pepper to taste
DIRECTIONS
Combine the flour, salt and pepper in a plastic bag. Shake the chicken pieces in flour until coated.
Heat the oil in a large skillet (one that has a cover/lid). Fry the chicken pieces until they are browned on both sides. Remove from skillet. Add the onion, garlic and bell pepper, and carrots to the skillet and saute until the onion is slightly browned.
Return the chicken to the skillet and add both of the tomatoes, green beans, oregano and wine.
Cover and cook on medium heat for 10-15 minutes.
Stir in salt and pepper and simmer on low for 5-10 minutes.

No comments: