Monday, August 20, 2007

Impromptu Oven Baked Chicken Parmesan Sandwich

I was going to put up a nice post about the food I had on the cruise and the lovely dinner I created when I got home. Except, I am no longer in any mood to write about the food on the cruise (as fantastic as some of it was) because I could not create a great dinner when I got home. Why you ask? Because the management in my building apparently doesn’t even know the size of their own stove burners. They came to fix the burners in the apartment while I was away, but they inserted the wrong size burner plate and heating coil. They can’t snap in, so it is impossible/unsafe to try to cook on my stovetop. This left me with an interesting dilemma. A lack of fresh food meant I couldn’t have a salad. No ingredients for a no boil lasagna. Hmmm… Chipotle it is.

The next day I really needed to eat lunch. No milk, so cereal was out, and the same issues existed as the day before. Ok, time to improvise. I ended up with an oven baked chicken parmesan sandwich (couldn’t boil water for pasta!). Wasn’t too bad, but is only to be used when the stove top is unavailable, as sautéing makes a much better version. The chicken just didn’t have the same flavor or texture that I get from my normal recipe (a Giada recipe). It was edible, yet not a crispy outside and juicy inside.

For dinner last night, I used the foreman grill to make grilled chicken with barbeque sauce, and I served it with corn muffins (since the oven part worked), broccoli and carrots steamed in the microwave and canned corn, also heated in the microwave.

Oh well, hopefully I will come home to a working stove! Fingers crossed!
Impromptu Oven Baked Chicken Parmesan Sandwich
1 chicken cutlet, frozen
Sprinkling of dried Italian herbs
About 1 cup of pasta sauce
A small handful each of parmesan and mozzarella
Potato roll

Heat oven to 350. Pour a little sauce into an oven safe sauté pan, then put in chicken. Sprinkle with seasoning. Cover with rest of the sauce. Cook in oven for 10 min. Flip the chicken. Cook another 10 minutes. Sprinkle on the cheeses. Bake another 5 minutes. Toast roll and serve chicken and sauce on the roll.

No comments: